Bulgaria Seeks US Technology for New Unit of Kozloduy NPP
Economy and Energy Minister Dragomir Stoynev has said that Bulgaria is seeking to build a new unit at the Kozloduy nuclear power plant using US technology.
Stoynev is on a working visit to the US and he is expected to meet with the executives of energy company Westinghouse to review a new nuclear unit of the latest generation which can be used at Kozloduy NPP.
Stoynev, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio, made clear Thursday that the Belene NPP project was not on the agenda, reminding of the ongoing arbitration proceedings at the the International Court of Arbitration in Paris between Bulgaria's National Electric Company (NEK) and Russian Atomstroyexport.
He cautioned that Bulgaria could stop being an exporter of electricity and start importing power supplies in 15 years, provided that no measures were taken.
He reminded that units of the Kozloduy NPP, as well as some other power plants, were to be closed in the 5-6 years to come.
"In 15 years, Bulgaria will have no more nuclear capacity. In 15 years, more than the half of our thermal power plants will be closed. What shall we do then? We cannot remain solely reliant on hydro power generation or renewable energy sources. Now is the time to start working on building new capacity," he added, as cited by BNR.
The issue of a new unit at the Kozloduy NPP came up after the project for the construction of the Belene NPP was frozen by the center-right GERB government.
The government headed by former Prime Minister Boyko Borisov stopped the implementation of the project over its high cost and decided to mount the reactor produced for the purpose at the Kozloduy NPP site.
Meanwhile, Bulgaria is also striving to get an extension of the life of units 5, 6 of the Kozloduy NPP.
The license of unit 5 of the Kozloduy NPP expires in November 2017 and that of unit 6 in October 2019.
- » Bulgarian Energy Minister: I Hope the Belene NPP Procedure Will Be Successful
- » The Procedure for Choosing a Strategic Investor in Belene NPP Starts
- » Bulgaria, Northern Macedonia and Albania Unite their Electricity Markets
- » Тоday It Will Become Clear Which Are the Candidates For the Construction of TurkSteam on Bulgarian Territory
- » Bulgaria's Deputy PM: Serbia and North Macedonia Show Interest in Belene NPP Project
- » Bulgarian Energy Minister: The Technology for Construction of Belene NPP is the most Modern and Reliable