'Everything Will Be Fine' Riot Policeman Tells Girl in Moving Photo
An heartwarming photo showing a Bulgarian riot policeman interacting with a stressed protesting girl has gone viral on social media.
The picture was taken by photographer Stefan Stefanov, a student at the Sofia-based National Academy for Theater and Film Arts, during a massive anti-government rally in Sofia.
As the remarkable shot quickly captured the public imagination in Bulgaria, the young girl featured in it made the following comment on Facebook:
“Among policemen, there were some well-intended ones. The one whose shoulders I'm holding had some blood on his nose, obviously he had scratched it somewhere. I saw him protecting people and trying to stop policemen from beating us. I started crying and told him to take care of himself. He replied, "Hold on. Everything is going to be fine". He had tears in his eyes...”
The ongoing anti-government protests in Bulgaria were triggered by the appointment of controversial media mogul Delyan Peevski as Chair of the State Agency for National Security in June – and were fueled by a number of other controversial appointments and wider concerns about corruption.
Tensions escalated on Tuesday, as police violently cracked down on a massive anti-graft rally in the Bulgarian capital.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Russia Will Supply Bulgaria With a Drug Against COVID-19
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Over 300 Students Quarantined in Blagoevgrad
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 160 New Cases, 12 Death
- » Bulgaria Provides BGN 50 Million to Increase Salaries of University Lecturers
- » Earthquake 3.6 Magnitute in Albania
- » Emergency Epidemic Situation in Bulgaria Is Extended to November 30