EPP Group Backs Anti-Govt Protest of University Students in Bulgaria
Joseph Daul, Acting President of the European People's Party (EPP), has expressed his personal support and EPP's solidarity with protesting Bulgarian students.
In a statement to the EPP Political Assembly, Daul expressed the full support of the EPP for the students fighting for change in Bulgaria.
"The protest of students in Bulgaria serves to remind that we are fighting for justice not only in candidate countries for EU accession but also inside the Union," he stated.
Daul presented the situation in Bulgaria to the delegates of the member parties of the EPP from all over the EU.
Tensions escalated Tuesday around the Parliament in Sofia during an anti-government rally staged by citizens and university students.
There were clashes between demonstrators and riot police and a number of people were arrested.
The protests seeking the resignation of Bulgaria's socialist-led government have lasted for over 5 months.
The rallies were recently given a fresh boost, as students staged a sit-in at the central building of Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski", saying that they would not lift the blockade until the government resigned and Parliament was dissolved.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria