Bulgarian Police Bust Refugee 'Trafficking' Ring
Bulgarian police have busted overnight, during a special operation, a channel for transporting illegal immigrants, acting in the capital Sofia and the southern city of Haskovo.
The information was reported Saturday by the Chief Secretary of the Interior Ministry Svetlozar Lazarov.
Three men - two Bulgarians and one Iraqi have been arrested on suspicions of fraud and organizing a scam for transporting illegal immigrants from Haskovo to the capital.
It turned out that the 97 passengers were from various nationalities and came from the refugee shelters in Harmanli and Pastrogor. 17 were Syrians and the rest were illegal immigrants from Afghanistan. 55 were under the age of 18 – of them 52 were Afghani children and 3 were Syrian. The identities of all have been established.
Both drivers have been taken for questioning in the nearby police precinct and were later released. The two Bulgarians and the one Iraqi national, who has a permanent status in Bulgaria, remain behind bars.
The investigation in the case continues.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » "Information Service" for Green Certificates: We Repelled the biggest Cyber Attack in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Traffic Police Caught 30 Migrants on Trakia Highway near Sliven
- » Spouses Found Dead in Blagoevgrad, Son is a Suspect of the Murder
- » At Least 116 people have Died in a Prison Riot in Ecuador
- » Demonstrative Murder in Sofia: A Man was Shot Dead at Gerena Stadium
- » Record Homicide Growth in the United States Last Year