79 Asylum-Seekers Enter Bulgaria in Past 24 Hours
A total of 79 asylum-seekers have entered Bulgaria through its border with Turkey over the past 24 hours, authorities say.
38 of them are Syrian nationals, according to the Bulgarian Interior Ministry.
The total capacity of the the shelters under the authority of the Interior Ministry and the State Agency for Refugees has now been exceeded by 1131 beds.
Bulgaria is the gateway to the European Union for refugees fleeing Syria via Turkey, many crossing the border illegally to seek asylum.
Security at the Bulgarian-Turkish border has been upped by border police from other parts of the country. Additional staff to process documents has been sent as well.
Bulgaria’s government expects the number of asylum seekers in the country to reach 11 000 by the end of 2013.
- » Bulgarian Artist Christo's 'London Mastaba' Made from over 7,000 Stacked Barrels Floats on Serpentine Lake
- » Saudi Arabia World Cup Players Tell of Terror after Plane’s Engine Catches Fire Mid-air
- » Bulgarians have Proved to be the most Active in the EU in Reporting Crimes
- » Child Fell from an Abandoned Building in Mezdra
- » Addiction to Video Games was Officially Recognized as a Disease
- » Boiler Exploded near a School and Wounded Teachers