Bulgarian Nationalists Lash Out at Cabinet over Refugees
Bulgarian nationalist party VMRO has warned it will start organizing self-defense units if authorities do not implement stricter measures to control the entry of foreign nationals into Bulgaria.
VMRO issued a declaration following the night stabbing of a young female shop attendant overnigth in Sofia, allegedly by a person of Arab origin.
Sunday the party also organized a thousands-strong rally, which marched along Sofia's central Vitosha Blvd, chanting xenophobic and anti-immigrant slogans.
VMRO have requested the expulsion of foreign nationals with criminal records, and a stronger control over refugees.
"Bulgaria's borders must be closed. This means that asylum seekers must enter via regular checkpoints," explained VMRO vice-chair Angel Dzhambazki.
"We give authorities a deadline of one week to restor order to Sofia, repatriate illegal migrants with criminal records and officially delcare the number of refugees that will be welcomed in Bulgaria," reads the party's declaration.
"After the end of this deadline, we intend to safeguard our lives, property and health, as well as those of the ones close to us, in whichever way we deem right," vow VMRO.
Meanwhile Sunday, nationalist party Ataka, whose MPs tacilty support the cabinet of Bulgarian PM Plamen Oresharski, also staged a smaller anti-immigrant rally in Sofia.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend