Thousands Gather on Anti-Immigrant Rally in Sofia
Thousands of Bulgarians have walked out on a rally against foreign migrants, following the night stabbing of a young girl in Sofia.
The rally was called Sunday by nationalist party VMRO, who said that the 20-year-old victim was their supporter, and that the violent incident has been a drastic demonstration of tensions between migrants of different cultures and Bulgarians.
The protest, which started at the National Palace of Culture after 1 pm, walked along Vitosha Blvd, with many people carrying and shouting nationalist slogans such as "Bulgaria for Bulgarians, refugees out."
They were also carrying signs with "Vicky", the name of the young stabbing victim, who is now fighting for her life.
In a separate rally, some 150 supporters of nationalist party Ataka assembled in front of the Ministry of Interior, and walked to the main Sofia mosque, Banya Bashi.
The perpetrator of the attack, which took place in a shop the young girl was working at, is believed to be of North African origin.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: New, Stricter Measures for Traffic Violators
- » 19 Canceled Flights between Bulgaria and Germany due to the Strike at German airports
- » Bulgaria: Bomb Signals were received in 10 Schools in Sofia and 15 in Burgas
- » Bulgarian Sheep Breeders: Lamb for Easter will be between BGN 25 and BGN 29 per kilogram
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 40 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » The Weather in Bulgaria will be Sunny and Windy with a sharp Cooling in the evening