Playoffs Not on Our Mind, Says Bulgarian Head Coach
The head coach of Bulgaria’s national football team Lyuboslav Penev says his team must perform at its best against the Czech Republic, without thinking about possible playoffs.
The Bulgarians host the Czechs on Tuesday night (9:15 PM local time) in a final group B qualifier for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. The chances of advancing to the playoffs are very slim, and a minimum 3-goal victory is necessary for the home side, coupled with favorable results in Slovenia's group.
“The loss in Armenia does not mean the morale in the team is low. We are disappointed, but all we are thinking of now is how to perform well in the last game”, said Penev in Monday night’s press conference.
The coach believes Bulgaria had the bad fortune of being drawn in the most difficult group, but is satisfied with the overall performance.
“We were not outplayed in any of our matches so far. Had we scored more of our chances, we could have even been 1st, or at least with a better chance of making the playoffs”, added Penev.
Regarding his team’s chances of scoring at least 3 goals tonight, the coach said it is possible. The players should take greater risks, but not to the point of neglecting their defensive duties.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Greatest Bulgarian Premier League Players Ever
- » Bulgaria with a Record 13 Medals from the European Rhythmic Gymnastics Championship
- » Bulgaria is the European Champion in Rhythmic Gymnastics - Gold for the Ensemble
- » Bulgaria to replace Russia on the Qualification for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris
- » Bulgarian Boxer Tervel Pulev defeated the American Joel Shojgreen in the Third Round
- » Why Bulgaria are Placing their Faith in Youth to get back into Footballing Relevance