Bulgarian Poet, Foundation Head Get EU Citizen Prize
Prominent Bulgarian poet, writer, and translator, Valeri Petrov and the chairman of the Foundation Bulgarian Memory, Dr Milen Vrabevski, are receiving Friday the European Citizen's prize of the European Parliament for 2013.
Bulgarian President, Rosen Plevneliev, will attend the ceremony.
After a vote, a national jury of three Bulgarian MEPs – Monika Panayotova (EPP), Antoniya Parvanova, (ALDE) and Evgeni Kirilov (S&D) chose Petrov and Vrabevski for the award.
Petrov was nominated for his indisputable talent, his contribution for reaching consensus among people and his contribution for maintaining the European spirit of the Bulgarian nation. The arguments for nominating Vrabevski read that his activities meet to the highest degree the criteria and the idea of the award.
Petrov was nominated by Bulgarian MEP and former Foreign Minister, Ivaylo Kalfin, from the Bulgarian Socialist Party, BSP, while Vrabevski – by the MEPs from the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, Andrey Kovachev and Preslav Borisov.
The European Citizen's Prize was launched by the Parliament in 2008 to recognize exceptional achievements by Europeans. This year 43 people from 21 member states were selected for the prize in honor of their good work. They will receive their medals in national award ceremonies and in the European Parliament in Brussels in October.
37 Europeans received the award last year. Bulgarian cruise ship technician Petar Petrov, who saved hundreds of people aboard Costa Concordia cruise liner, was one of them.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » European Court of Justice: Bulgaria Breaches Air Pollution Limits
- » Council of Europe: Harassment, Violence, Acute Staff Shortage Plague Bulgarian Psychiatric Wards and Care Homes
- » EC Disburses €14 Billion to Nine Member States, Greece Receives 2.7 Billion, Bulgaria Not on the List
- » Sofia Summit: European Perspective on the Western Balkans Means Stability, Peace and Prosperity
- » EC Sent Letter to Bulgaria About the Citizenship by Investment Scheme
- » MEPs Adopted a Critical Resolution on Bulgaria's Rule-of-Law