Influential EU Politician Wilfred Martens Passes Away at 77
Former Belgian Prime Minister and long-serving President of the centre-right European Peoples’ Party Wilfried Martens died Thursday at the age of 77.
Wilfred Martens was prime minister of Belgium from 1979 to 1992 (briefly interrupted in 1981), Belgian media announced on Thursday 10 October.
Martens co-founded the centre-right European Peoples’ Party (EPP) in 1976 and has served as its president since 1990.
He was hospitalised at the end of August for blood coagulation problems and released on 9 September.
European Commission's President Jos? Manuel Barroso, giving his condolences, called Wilfried Martens a “great statesman” , whose “personal commitment to the integration of the centre-right parties in the new democracies of Central and Eastern Europe was of paramount importance”, Barroso said, as cited by euractiv.com
- » Swedish DJ Avicii Dies Aged 28
- » US First Lady Barbara Bush Dies at Age 92
- » Milos Forman Two-Time Oscar Winning Directo Dead At 86
- » Winnie Mandela, South African Anti-apartheid Crusader, Dies at 81
- » France to Pay National Tribute to Officer Killed in Friday Hostage Crisis
- » Stephen Hawking, Renowned Scientist, Dies at 76