Bulgarian Energy Consultant Not Arrested in Raid
The information was reported by the company on the heels of news that Bulgaria's State Agency for National Security, DANS, and the Interior Ministry are conducting a large-scale joint special operation against suspected fraud in the energy sector.
The operation is taking place in the capital Sofia, including in the offices of Risk Engineering, the western city of Pernik, and the Danube towns of Kozloduy and Belene.
Kozloduy is the site of Bulgaria's only Nuclear Power Plant, NPP, while there is a debated project to build a second, Russian-sponsored one in Belene.
Immediately after the news made headlines, rumors started circulating that Manchev has been arrested. His office now says he has been notified about the raid and had promised to return to Bulgaria to cooperate with the investigation.
No further details are currently known, except that there are several arrests. The prosecution stated they will not reveal any further details in order to not hinder the probe, but noted they would provide more information at a later time.
Chief Prosecutor, Sotir Tsatsarov, told the media Thursday that he will comment in upcoming days on his work on tipoffs about fraud in energy sector.
The operation comes on the heels of Sofia City Prosecutor's Office launching on August 9 a pre-trial procedure for large-scale embezzlement. The main lead in the investigation are payments from the National Electric Company, NEK, for consulting services for the Belene NPP project, made after the previous government of the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, decided to freeze it in March 2012.
The operation was launched simultaneously in the above locations at 8:30 am Friday. A total of 17 facilities are being raided.
- » 35,000 Children got Caught in Criminal Trafficking Networks in Bulgaria last 18 Years
- » 2 Bulgarians Referred to Prosecutors over Hiroshima Peace Park Football Graffiti
- » Mobile Customs Teams in Bulgaria Seize over 51 Tonnes of illicit Fuel within a Week
- » Bulgarian Police Shuts Down High-tech illegal Cannabis Production Facility
- » Woman was Found Murdered in an Apartment in Gorna Oryahovitsa
- » Islamic State Claims Responsibility For Deadly Melbourne Attack