31 Syrians Nabbed on Bulgarian-Turkish Border in 24 Hours
Bulgaria’s border police has detained a total of 46 immigrants who have illegally crossed the country’s border with Turkey in the last 24 hours, 31 of them - Syrian nationals.
Over 368 Syrian asylum-seekers have reached Bulgaria since September 5.
The total capacity of refugee shelters of the State Refugee Agency and of special homes of the Interior Ministry is 1 930 beds. It has already been exceeded by 335 beds.
Bulgaria is undertaking measures to accommodate all potential refugees that might arrive from Syria seeking shelters from the devastating civil war conflict.
The Bulgarian Red Cross is ready to launch a national charity drive.
There is no current threat of epidemics, the authorities have assured, following media publications.
Bulgaria, which shares a border with Turkey, may have to provide shelter for as many as 10,000 Syrians by the end of the year.
About 3,000 illegal migrants were caught crossing the border in the first eight months of the year, of which about 1,600 were Syrians, according to the Interior Ministry.
That compares with about 2,000 migrants detained last year.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend