256 Syrian Immigrants Crossed Bulgarian Border in 6 Days
Bulgarian border police have detained a total of 368 individuals illegally crossing the Bulgarian-Turkish "green border" from 6 am on September 5 to 6 am on September 11.
The number was reported by the press center of the Bulgarian Interior Ministry.
"Green border" refers to crossings without a checkpoint. Under Bulgarian law this is a crime.
The detainees included 256 Syrian nationals and 112 from other countries.
The total capacity of refugee shelters of the State Refugee Agency and of special homes of the Interior Ministry is 1 930 beds. It has already been exceeded by 412 beds.
Bulgaria is undertaking measures to accommodate all potential refugees that might arrive from Syria seeking asylum from the devastating civil war conflict.
Interior Minister, Tsvetlin Yovchev, reported Wednesday that Bulgaria has secured another 350 beds for refugees in two new shelters to open in just days and is seeking more buildings to be transformed to shelters.
The Bulgarian Red Cross is ready to launch a national charity drive.
There is no current threat of epidemics, the authorities have assured, following media publications.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » "Information Service" for Green Certificates: We Repelled the biggest Cyber Attack in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Traffic Police Caught 30 Migrants on Trakia Highway near Sliven
- » Spouses Found Dead in Blagoevgrad, Son is a Suspect of the Murder
- » At Least 116 people have Died in a Prison Riot in Ecuador
- » Demonstrative Murder in Sofia: A Man was Shot Dead at Gerena Stadium
- » Record Homicide Growth in the United States Last Year