Bulgaria Submits Euro 2020 Bid
Bulgaria’s football union will submit on Wednesday its bid to be one of the 13 cities to stage matches in the 2020 European Championship.
The Socialist-backed government gave give its official stamp of approval last month.
Plans for the construction of a new national stadium have resurfaced in Bulgaria, with Bulgarian Football Union president Borislav Mihaylov officially expressing his support for the move.
Bulgaria hopes to host at least two Euro 2020 games, if such stadium is constructed.
The new facility would be beneficial for Bulgarian football teams competing in European tournaments.
The Bulgarian Football Union president said the new stadium may be built in Sofia - or some other Bulgarian city, if the government decides so.
Meanwhile Mariana Georgieva, Bulgaria's Minister of Youth and Sport, suggested that the National Stadium Vasil Levski undergo a complete facelift to be eligible for such a prestigious competition.
Uefa, European football's governing body will launch the official bidding process in April 2014, and the 13 cities will be chosen the following September.
It is a change from the usual format, where one or two countries hosted the tournament every four years.
The next European Championship will be staged by France in 2016 and will feature 24 qualifiers, up from 16 in 2012.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Mobile Betting Apps: Sports News and Tips
- » Four Bronze Medals for Bulgarian students from the Informatics Olympiad
- » Nurgyul Salimova with a Record Rating in the FIDE Rankings
- » Nurgyul Salimova: I am Proud of what I have Achieved, I Felt the Support of many Bulgarians and People from all over the World
- » After 30 years: Bulgaria Won again the Team World Title in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- » Women's Spanish teams Refuse to Play until the President of the Football Federation is replaced