Strong Aftershock Registered in Southern Bulgaria
A second tremor has been registered in southern Bulgaria Wednesday, according to reports of the European-Mediterranean Seismological Center (EMSC).
It had a magnitude of 3.7 on the Righter scale and occurred at 11:43 am. The epicenter is 11 km deep and is located 50 km west of the city of Smolyan, close to the Greek border.
A 4.0 point magnitude earthquake was registered earlier on Wednesday in the same area, near the southern Bulgarian town of Dospat, according to the site of the Geophysical Institute of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS).
The epicenter was near the village of Osina, Satovcha municipality, in the southwestern Blagoevgrad Region.
The Mayor of Satovcha, Arben Mimenov, was quoted in saying local people felt the tremor strongly and were quite scared.
No injuries or material damage have been reported so far. A group of the municipal administration in Satovcha is on its way to Osina to inspect houses that were already damaged after sustaining cracks from a landslide in the winter. They will check the landslide as well.
The tremor has been felt very lightly in the village of Sarnitsa, according to its Mayor.
Earlier Wednesday, the Deputy Mayor of Dospat dispelled reports the tremor was felt by local residents, saying he had no such information and the situation was calm, without any panic.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » More than 18 Thousand cubic meters of Illegal Logging in Bulgaria was Established in 2022
- » Bulgaria: The Snow caused Problems in Mountain Passes, Yellow Code for Heavy Rain in 11 Regions
- » Bulgaria: Drive your Cars prepared for Winter Conditions
- » Bulgaria: Orange Code for Snow in 4 Regions for Tomorrow
- » Weather in Bulgaria will be mostly Cloudy, almost No Precipitation
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Cold Continues, Snowfall and Rainfall are Expected