Biden: No Doubt Syria Used Chemical Arms
US Vice President Joe Biden has said there is "no doubt" the Syrian government used chemical weapons and it must be held accountable.
Saying "there is no doubt who is responsible for this heinous use of chemical weapons attack in Syria: the Syrian regime," Vice President Joe Biden signaled Tuesday that the United States - with its allies - was ready to act.
"Those who use chemical weapons against defenseless men, women and children should and must be held accountable," Biden said in a speech to the American Legion.
The vice president's remarks echo those made by other U.S. officials in recent days, as well as many of the nation's foremost allies.
The Syrian government has strongly denied claims it used chemical weapons.
UN weapons inspectors are set to return to the site of last week's suspected attack near Damascus on Wednesday.
Their evidence-gathering visit was delayed by a day after they were fired on.
The United States, meanwhile, is conducting its own investigation. The intelligence report will include forensic evidence and intercepted communications among Syrian military commanders, according to unnamed officials, cited by CNN.
The vice president said that beyond whatever inspectors do or do not find, common sense and the recent past point to one culprit.
"The Syrian regime are the only ones who have the weapons, have used chemical weapons multiple times in the past, have the means of delivering those weapons, have been determined to wipe out exactly the places that were attacked by chemical weapons," he said Tuesday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Defenders of Kharkiv region Reached the Border with Russia and Reported to Zelensky
- » Seven Countries are setting up a Data Exchange System closed to China and Russia
- » Day 82 of the Invasion of Ukraine: NATO declares Indefinite Military Support for Kyiv, Heavy Losses for Russia
- » NATO invites Georgia to its Summit in Madrid
- » Day 81 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Hell at Azovstal, Russia Drops Phosphorus Bombs, Rocket Fire near Ukraine’s Border with Poland
- » Day 80 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The Fighting in Donbas is Gaining Momentum, Russian Soldier on Trial