Romanian Truck Driver Arrested over Deadly Crash in Bulgaria Remains in Custody
The Sofia City Court has extended the remand in custody of the 46-year-old Romanian truck driver who caused the deadly chain crash on the Hemus Highway at the Yana road junction on Monday.
The traffic accident, which occurred shortly before the official launch of the Yana road junction, claimed the lives of two men aged 55 and 64, and injured five.
A TIR truck with a Romanian registration plate carrying oil bumped headlong into a number of cars which had slowed down, anticipating the traffic jam.
The chain car crash cancelled the official ceremony for the opening of the Yana road junction connecting the Hemus Highway to Sofia Ringroad.
If the remand measure is appealed before the Sofia Appellate Court, the motion will be reviewed on August 29, according to reports of dnevnik.bg.
The traffic accident happened because the driver was driving too fast for the concrete road conditions.
The 46-year-old Romanian national attended Thursday's sitting of the Sofia City Court accompanied by a lawyer and an interpreter.
He has a high school degree, he is married and has not been convicted.
If he is found guilty, he may be sentenced to 3 -10 years of imprisonment.
Meanwhile, two people injured in the traffic accident at the Yana road junction, a 22-year-old man and an 11-year-old girl, were released Thursday from the Pirogov hospital in Sofia.
Both are in good condition and the girl is to undergo a follow-up medical check-up next week.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Military Man Killed his Girlfriend and Committed Suicide
- » Bulgaria: A Man Stabbed his Neighbors because of their Barking Dog
- » The Bulgarian Entrepreneur Tzvetan Vassilev is No Longer Wanted by Interpol
- » Bulgaria: 9 Months in Prison for a Man caught Driving Drunk for the Second Time
- » A Law will Prohibit the Sale of Nitrous Oxide or “Laughing Gas” to Minors in Bulgaria
- » Operation in Greece for the capture of Bulgarian Cryptoqueen Ruja Ignatova