Bulgarian Christians Mark Dormition of Mary
Thursday marks the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God for Bulgaria's Orthodox Christians.
Known to Catholics and Anglicans as Assumption of Mary, the holiday marks the day Christians believe the mother of Christ passed away and was accepted in Heaven.
For Christians, it is a holiday of happiness and joy, for it it is believed to be the day that the mother of Christ rejoined him in eternal glory.
For Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics alike, Mary's Assumption is seen as a concrete and present instance of the resurrection of the body, a belief integral to Christian theology and found in the creeds.
In Bulgaria the day is also the name day of persons bearing the widespread name Maria, and cognates like Mario, Mariana.
Many people will flock to churches for the traditional Dormition of the Holy Mother of God services.
- » Bulgarian Artists illuminate Brandenburg Gate During Berlin’s Festival of Lights
- » The World Famous Italian Musician Eros Ramazzotti with One Unique Concert in Bulgaria
- » Тhe American Superstar Lenny Kravitz is Coming to Bulgaria for One Amazing Show!
- » Bulgaria Joins Oscar Race with 'Omnipresent'
- » Ministry of Culture to Inspect State of Buildings Declared Immovable Cultural Heritage in Sofia City Centre
- » MOOD FOR FOOD STREET FESTIVAL - PLOVDIV 14-16 SEPTEMBER 2018