Bulgarian Christians Mark Dormition of Mary
Thursday marks the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God for Bulgaria's Orthodox Christians.
Known to Catholics and Anglicans as Assumption of Mary, the holiday marks the day Christians believe the mother of Christ passed away and was accepted in Heaven.
For Christians, it is a holiday of happiness and joy, for it it is believed to be the day that the mother of Christ rejoined him in eternal glory.
For Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics alike, Mary's Assumption is seen as a concrete and present instance of the resurrection of the body, a belief integral to Christian theology and found in the creeds.
In Bulgaria the day is also the name day of persons bearing the widespread name Maria, and cognates like Mario, Mariana.
Many people will flock to churches for the traditional Dormition of the Holy Mother of God services.
- » Bulgarian Artist Christo's 'London Mastaba' Made from over 7,000 Stacked Barrels Floats on Serpentine Lake
- » The Bulgarian "Cultural Reforms" Movement Begins a Series of Cultural Policy Forums
- » SKILLET in Sofia with First Solo Concert in Bulgaria!
- » The 11th Bulgarian Cinema Festival in Rome is Coming soon
- » The ANASTACIA Concert in Sofia is Canceled
- » IMANY with Two Big Concerts in Sofia and Plovdiv in June