Navalny Vows to Win Moscow Mayoral Vote
Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has told supporters that he will run for mayor of the Russian capital in an upcoming election.
"We will go to the elections and we will win," Navalny said after he was freed from jail pending an appeal against a five-year jail term.
“There is an election campaign ahead of us, seven weeks of pre-election battle,” he said, and thanked all his supporters, without whose support, he said, he and co-defendant Pyotr Ofitserov would not have been released.
“We are a huge, powerful force. I’m very glad that we’ve started to recognize that force ourselves…I want to apologize to you for not believing so strongly in you,” Navalny said, according to RIA Novosti.
He will run on behalf of the RPR-PARNAS opposition party.
The opposition leader was sentenced to five years by a court in the city of Kirov on Thursday on embezzlement charges, and put into temporary custody.
He was released on Friday by the same court because his sentence will come into effect only ten days later. He is under orders not to leave Moscow until his sentence comes into effect.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Dutch Government will officially Apologize for Slavery
- » Japan, Italy and Great Britain are making a Jet Fighter of a New Generation
- » Day 289 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Tipsy Putin Acknowledged Striking Ukraine’s Infrastructure because “They started it First”
- » Netherlands: Bulgaria has a problem with Human Rights and the Fight against Corruption
- » The US expects Sweden and Finland to join NATO soon
- » Officially: Bulgaria and Romania out of Schengen, Croatia is in