TPP Chimney Protester Rescued in Sofia
A rescue team was able to convince the young man, protesting against the Socialist-endorsed government of Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski from the top of a tall chimney of a Thermal Power Plant in Sofia, to come down.
In the course of over an hour and a half three rescuers climbed slowly and with great precaution the 145-meter-tall chimney. It has four platforms and the man was on the highest one, right underneath the chimney's top.
The call to the police has been placed around 1 pm Sunday. The authorities have established the identity of the man as Igor Shabov, one of the finalists in the reality show "The Voice of Bulgaria."
The first rescuer to reach Shabov was able to convince him to come down after a short conversation.
The steps are said to be very dangerous and moving on them is very slow. The young man was secured by several ropes and is safe on the ground now.
An ambulance is at the scene and the perimeter is sealed.
Meanwhile, the police are investigating likely breaches of security at the Zemlyane TPP, which is guarded by a private security firm, in order to find out how was it possible for Shabov to access the chimney.
Sunday is the 31st day of protests in Bulgaria demanding the government's resignation.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Protests in Bulgaria, Day 71: Protesters Demand the Resignation of Tsveta Karayancheva - Speaker of the National Assembly
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 154 New Cases, 10 Death
- » Bulgaria: Eight Teachers from Sofia's School Tested Positive for COVID-19
- » Bulgaria Celebrates Saints Sophia, Faith, Hope and Love
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 174 Newly Registered Cases, 4410 Active Cases
- » Protests in Bulgaria, Day 70: Group of Protesters Escorted Out of Parliament Building, Interior Ministry: Not True That We Used Force