Bulgarian Ethnic Turkish Party MP Gives Up Imminuty
Shterio Shterev, MP from the ethnic Turkish Movement for Rights and Freedoms, DPS, has handed in his written agreement to be stripped of his lawmaker's immunity.
The step was announced by Parliament Chair Mihail Mikov during Wednesday's parliament sitting, according to reports of the Focus news agency.
On July 2, Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsatov requested Parliament to lift the MP immunity of Shterev over an ongoing investigation against him for money laundering and financial crime.
A day later, on July 3, Shterio Sterev handed in a declaration stating his consent to be stripped of his immunity from prosecution in connection with Tsatsarov's request.
Shterev's declaration is to be referred to the Chief Prosecutor.
Responding to the announcement of Tsatsarov that he was being investigated for money laundering and financial crime, Shterev claimed last week that he was innocent.
He explained that he had been the subject of pre-trial proceedings for money laundering and document forgery in 2008 but specified that he had had not been summoned for a questioning since then.
Shterev emphasized that the parliamentary group of DPS was well aware of the pre-trial proceedings against him.
- » Police Found 6 Tons of Amphetamine at a Port in Varna, Bulgarian Seaside
- » Large Tree Fell on a Car on a Busy Street in Plovdiv
- » Hail and Rain in Lovech, Firefighters Pull up Cars
- » Another 12 Hospitals in Bulgaria Are Facing Bankruptcy, Ombudsman Maya Manolova Said
- » Counter Campaign: Publishing House Asks if we Value Gambling more than Culture (Video)
- » On 24 May Balchik Opens a Monument to Cyril and Methodius