Lawyer of Bulgaria's Ex Interior Minister: Tsvetanov Has No Reason to Worry
Tsvetan Tsvetanov has every reason to remain calm because the indictment which was brought against him cannot possibly fulfill the elements of the crime for which it was presented, according to Menko Menkov, lawyer of Bulgaria's former Interior Minister and current chair of the center-right GERB party.
Tsvetanov was officially charged Wednesday with failing to exercise proper control over Interior Ministry officials, thereby enabling the unauthorized deployment of special surveillance equipment against high-profile politicians, magistrates and businesspeople.
He was imposed a remand measure of signed promise for appearance.
Speaking Wednesday in the hallways of Parliament, Menkov made clear that he had not been given any materials related to the investigation or any evidence in support of the charges.
Tsvetanov's legal defender claimed that the wrongdoing of which the former Interior Minister was accused was not not enough to establish corpus delicti and had nothing to do with illegal wiretapping.
Menkov told journalists that the manner in which the proceedings against Tsvetanov had started indicated that the sole purpose of the step had been to press some sort of charges against Tsvetanov.
"What the real purpose is and who is pursuing it I cannot tell" he stated, as cited by Sega daily.
Menkov suggested that it was unclear what crime the other four defendants to the case had committed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Murder in Sofia: A Man Died from Multiple Stab Wounds, his Son was Detained
- » Bulgaria: Authorities Detained a Police Officer while On Duty with more than 1.6 Promille of Alcohol
- » Specialized Police Operation in the Bulgarian Village of Sindel after the Rape of a 73-year-old Woman
- » A 73-year-old Woman was Raped in a Bulgarian Village
- » 30 Days in Detention for the Attacker of Bulgarian Hristiyan Pendikov in North Macedonia
- » Prosecutor General: The US Settlement with Nexo has Nothing to do with the Bulgarian Investigation