Expert: Bulgaria Ranks 6 Globally by Alcohol Consumption
Bulgaria has been ranked sixth globally by alcoholic beverages consumption with 30 liters a year per capita.
The data was reported Saturday by psychiatrist Dr Alexander Kanchelov, expert on treating alcohol dependency.
Speaking for Darik radio, he said that 350 000 Bulgarians are alcohol dependent, but only 1% seek treatment. 30% of men and 20% of women are at risk.
According to him, a standard drink in Bulgaria is a class of wine, 25 milliliters of liquor or a small beer.
Consumption of 21 such drinks in the course of 5 days each week for men and 14 for women is a risk, gradually leading to addiction.
Kanchelov method of treatment includes moderate consumption instead of full abstention. The target is the 30% of regular consumers, who are at risk.
The doctor believes that full abstention is unachievable in most cases.
- » BFSA Withdraws Dangerous Romanian Mackerel from the Market
- » A New Substance Was Included in the Drug List
- » Study: insufficient Sleep Makes People Crave Unhealthy Food
- » Eating Healthy Reduces Anxiety and Improves People's Mood
- » Study: Even Small Amounts of Alcohol during Pregnancy Boosts Diabetes Risk for the Baby
- » Free Breast Cancer Examinations