Media Heap Praise on Bulgaria's Dimitrov after Stunning Victory
International media have heaped praise on Bulgaria’s talented youngster Grigor Dimitrov after his upset win against world No. 1 Novak Djokovic.
Dimitrov survived cramp and a squandered match point to oust Djokovic 7-6(6) 6-7(8) 6-3 in the second round of the Madrid Masters.
"The expression 'a star is born' should be reserved for teenage talents but in Grigor Dimitrov's case I think we can make an exception,” BBC tennis correspondent Jonathan Overend said after the 21-year-old Bulgarian’s biggest win so far.
Overend believes that Dimitrov “can possibly gatecrash the top 10 this summer.”
“Grigor Dimitrov has long been touted as the next Roger Federer but it may be the 21-year-old Bulgarian's stunning win against world number one Novak Djokovic at the Madrid Open on Tuesday that finally catapaults him into the big time,” Reuters said.
By defeating the No. 1 player in the world, Dimitrov has put the rest of the tour on notice, according to the Bleacher Report.
“If he plays like he did on Tuesday, he has the potential to beat anyone in the sport,” the Bleacher Report said.
- » Norway Won and is Now Ahead of Bulgaria in our Group in League of Nations Tournament
- » Bulgaria Claims Mixed Pair Acrobatic Gymnastics Gold
- » Bulgaria Won 2-1 over Cyprus to Top Nations League group
- » Nearly 4,000 Participants are Expected in Sofia Marathon 2018
- » Official: Ludogorets Parted with Autouri and Announced the New Coach
- » Bulgarian Athletes would be Fined up to BGN 2,000 in case of Doping