Media Heap Praise on Bulgaria's Dimitrov after Stunning Victory
International media have heaped praise on Bulgaria’s talented youngster Grigor Dimitrov after his upset win against world No. 1 Novak Djokovic.
Dimitrov survived cramp and a squandered match point to oust Djokovic 7-6(6) 6-7(8) 6-3 in the second round of the Madrid Masters.
"The expression 'a star is born' should be reserved for teenage talents but in Grigor Dimitrov's case I think we can make an exception,” BBC tennis correspondent Jonathan Overend said after the 21-year-old Bulgarian’s biggest win so far.
Overend believes that Dimitrov “can possibly gatecrash the top 10 this summer.”
“Grigor Dimitrov has long been touted as the next Roger Federer but it may be the 21-year-old Bulgarian's stunning win against world number one Novak Djokovic at the Madrid Open on Tuesday that finally catapaults him into the big time,” Reuters said.
By defeating the No. 1 player in the world, Dimitrov has put the rest of the tour on notice, according to the Bleacher Report.
“If he plays like he did on Tuesday, he has the potential to beat anyone in the sport,” the Bleacher Report said.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Lost to Novak Djokovic in Queens
- » World Cup 2018: Football Showpiece Set to Begin in Russia
- » USA, Canada and Mexico will Host 2026 World Cup
- » Russia’s World Cup Costs to Exceed $14Bln, Media Reports
- » Spain Fired its Coach a Day before the Start of the 2018 World Cup
- » Mirela Demireva made a Historic Jump in Stockholm