Bulgarian Orthodox Mark Holy Saturday
Bulgarian Christian Orthodox mark on May 4 Holy and Great Saturday – the last day of Lent and of the Holy Week before Easter Sunday.
Holy Saturday commemorates the day when Jesus Christ's body was laid in the tomb. It is sometimes known as Black Saturday or Easter Saturday.
On Holy Saturday, people visit the graves of their departed family and friends and share colored eggs and bread. This is the day to bake the traditional Easter bread known as kozunak. Those who missed coloring the eggs on Maundy Thursday get a last chance to do so on Holy Saturday.
Holy and Great Saturday, is also called The Great Sabbath since it is on this day that Christ "rested" physically in the tomb. But it is also believed that it was on this day he performed in spirit the Harrowing of Hades and raised up to Paradise those who had been held captive there.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Sofia: Crash between 2 Public Transport Buses - there are Injuries
- » Study Finds Why is it so Difficult for Humans to have Baby
- » How many Years will the Murderer of the Two Girls receive after the Car Crash in Sofia
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 643 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgaria: The Driver who Killed Two Women and Escaped has been Arrested, He was on Drugs
- » Bulgaria: 45 Montenegrin Football Fans Detained after they Robbed a Gas Station