Suspects' Mother ‘Discussed Jihad with Son’
Russia intercepted a communication between the mother of the accused Boston Marathon bombers and someone who may have been one of her sons "discussing jihad" in 2011, CNN reported, citing a US official with knowledge of the investigation.
This source described the conversation as vague.
The Russians turned over the intercept to the FBI in the last few days, the official said.
This source was not aware of a reason for the delay and did not offer an opinion about whether it would have given the FBI enough reason to justify a closer look at Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the oldest of the two brothers.
US Attorney General Eric Holder was asked abut the report while attending the White House Correspondents Dinner Saturday.
"That's an ongoing matter," Holder said. "I can't really comment on that."
CNN has previously reported that the FBI has said that it conducted an investigation - including an interview with Tamerlan Tsarnaev after Russia expressed concerns in 2011.
The FBI said at the time if found nothing to justify pursuing the matter further and that Russia did not respond to US requests for additional information.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 92 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia Attacked 40 Cities in Donbas, Kyiv Criticizes NATO
- » Poroshenko urges Bulgaria to Close Ports for Russian Ships and Calls for Arbitration over Gazprom
- » Latvia: If Ukraine Loses, We are Next
- » Ukraine will Not Make Territorial Concessions in the Name of Peace with Russia
- » The EC is Proposing to Confiscate the Assets of Violators of EU Sanctions
- » Soros: The War in Ukraine could be the Beginning of World War III