CNN: Boston Suspect May be Charged in Hospital Bed
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, may be charged at his hospital bedside Sunday, a Department of Justice official told CNN.
Because Tsarnaev is still in serious condition, a judge would likely come to the hospital to charge him, a law enforcement source said, noting that suspects who face federal charges are normally arraigned within 48 hours of arrest. Tsarnaev, 19, is currently unable to speak and is under heavy guard.
Authorities have not said publicly what charges will be filed, but a Justice Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told CNN he will face federal terrorism charges and possibly state murder charges.
Although Massachusetts does not have the death penalty, prosecutors could seek capital punishment at the federal level, the Justice Department official said.
"Given the facts that I've seen, it would be appropriate to use the death penalty in this case and I hope they would apply it in federal court," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Belarus Bans Orwell's 1984
- » Germany’s Chancellor Rejects Ukraine's Swift Entry into the EU - Deems it Unfair to the Balkans
- » Bush: The Invasion of Iraq was Brutal...I meant of Ukraine (VIDEO)
- » Day 85 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv Extends Martial Law and Mobilization by 90 Days, US Warned Moscow, Russia used Laser Weapons
- » UN: Mass World Hunger Awaits Us
- » European Commission Proposed an Armaments Plan to Ensure the Security of the EU