Protesters Blockade Major Bulgaria-Greece Road
More than 3000 protesters rallying against the excesses of Bulgaria's three power utilities – CEZ, EVN, and Energo-Pro – blockaded Sunday the major road between Sofia and the Greek border.
The E-79 road was blockaded for more than two hours Sunday afternoon near the Southwestern city of Blagoevgrad as part of the national day of protests against the monopolies.
The protesters refused to agree to the calls made by the protest organizers to let through some of the vehicles trying to leave the city of Blagoevgrad through the main road.
The protesters threatened to stay on the road until somebody from the government comes over to talk to them.
The police failed to prevent the road blockade and did not try to tackle the protesters. Large-scale protests were held in Sofia, Varna, Plovdiv, and Veliko Tarnovo. Clashes are reported to have erupted only in Sofia.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 231 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Chilly Morning, Warm Afternoon
- » Bulgaria: The Monument to the Soviet Army in Sofia was Wrapped
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 238 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Wind is Weakening, Rain possible in the Southeastern Regions
- » Bulgaria: Car with 17 Migrants collided with a Taxi in Sofia