Bulgaria to Build Monument of Russian Liberation War General Gurko
A monument to renowned Russian general Joseph Gurko will be unveiled in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, Lyubomir Kolarov, head of the Bulgarian Heroes Fund, has announced.
Joseph Gurko (1828-1901) was a Russian Field Marshal prominent during the Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878), known in Bulgaria as the Liberation War because as a result of it, the Russian Empire forced the Ottoman Turkish Empire to create a free Bulgarian state after more than 400 years of Ottoman yoke.
Gurko's monument in Sofia will unveiled on March 2, a day before March 3 – Bulgaria's Liberation Day, which is the day of the San Stefano Peace Treaty in 1878.
Lyubomir Kolarov expressed hope that the monument will add to expanding friendly ties between Russia and Bulgaria, as cited by The Voice of Russia.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain and Thunderstorms Over the Weekend
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 290 Newly Registered Cases, 6 Death
- » Protests in Bulgaria, Day 78: Procession to the Headquarters of the Movement for Rights and Freedoms
- » Russia Will Supply Bulgaria With a Drug Against COVID-19
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Over 300 Students Quarantined in Blagoevgrad
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 160 New Cases, 12 Death