Bulgarian Health Committee Upholds Full Smoking Ban
Bulgaria's full smoking ban in closed public spaces survived on Thursday, as the parliamentary committee on health unanimously voted against lifting it.
Independent MPs Kiril Gumnerov and Stoyan Ivanov had tabled amendments that would reinstate the segregated smoking areas in bars, arguing that the full smoking ban is harming the economy.
However, the committee sided with Health Minister Desislava Atanasova's firm stance against lifting the full smoking ban and rejected the lawmakers' arguments.
A number of NGOs also backed the full smoking ban.
Earlier on Thursday, some 150 people staged a protest in Sofia against the proposed easing of the full ban on smoking in all enclosed public spaces.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Doctor: Covid is Not the only Explanation for the High Mortality Rate
- » WHO warns: The Pandemic is Not Over, Record Numbers of New Infections in Europe
- » BBC: Died with or Died of COVID? What is happening with Mortality Statistics
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Another Record of New Cases in the last 24 hours
- » Bulgaria: Not a Single Case of Proven Link between Vaccine against COVID-19 and Death
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Record - almost 10 000 new cases in the last 24 hours