Bulgarian Health Committee Upholds Full Smoking Ban
Bulgaria's full smoking ban in closed public spaces survived on Thursday, as the parliamentary committee on health unanimously voted against lifting it.
Independent MPs Kiril Gumnerov and Stoyan Ivanov had tabled amendments that would reinstate the segregated smoking areas in bars, arguing that the full smoking ban is harming the economy.
However, the committee sided with Health Minister Desislava Atanasova's firm stance against lifting the full smoking ban and rejected the lawmakers' arguments.
A number of NGOs also backed the full smoking ban.
Earlier on Thursday, some 150 people staged a protest in Sofia against the proposed easing of the full ban on smoking in all enclosed public spaces.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 185 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgarian Health Inspector: The Peak of the Flu Epidemic is expected at the end of January and the first week of February
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 153 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 221 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 163 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 288 New Cases in the Last 24 hours