Macedonia Proposes to Bulgaria 'Historians Summit'
Nikola Poposki, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Macedonia, has sent an open letter to his Bulgarian counterpart, Nikolay Mladenov, inviting him for talks with the goal to improve bilateral relations.
According to the Bulgarian Trud (Labor) daily, the most interesting part of the letter is the proposal to establish a joint expert committee with historians from both countries to debate historical issues and interpretation of facts.
Mladenov, speaking in an interview for Darik radio, stressed he was convinced both countries could apply more effort to improve bilateral relations and their European vision, but this could happen only through mutual respect on sensitive issues.
"I met Minister Poposki in New York; we had a long conversation, so we no longer need to chat. We need to see results now. Macedonia counts on Bulgaria's support for its joining of the EU. This support depends also on the report of the European Commission on Macedonia, which is due in a month and a half. It is crystal clear that it would be unlikely they will manage in this month and a half to take out from their school books stories like the one of Bulgaria having occupied Pirin Macedonia, separating it from its country and people," the Minister said.
He noted this was an absurd on its own, but on top of it there must be other processes, developing in several directions, adding nevertheless the two countries have common ground such as joint infrastructure projects.
"I am convinced that the future of Macedonia is in the EU, but problems between our two countries must be ironed out first," Mladenov concluded.
- » The President of the Macedonian Parliament Comes to Bulgaria to Vote on the Protocol
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Bulgarian Visas Will be Issued in 15 Cities in India
- » Bulgarian President President Rumen Radev Will Participate in a Meeting with the Business in Haskovo.
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister Participated in the Conference on Peace and Security in the Middle East
- » Bulgarian PM is on a Working Visit to Serbia
- » External Affairs Minister of India Will be on an Official Visit to Bulgaria