China's Navy Gets 1st Aircraft Carrier
China's first aircraft carrier, an overhauled former Soviet vessel, has been formally handed over to China's navy.
The official ceremony was held on Sunday at the Dalian shipyard in Northeast China, where the aircraft carrier has been docked for refitting since 2002, local media reported on Monday as cited by RIA Novosti.
During the ceremony, China's national flag, the People's Liberation Army flag, and the Chinese navy's colors were raised over the ship, currently known as Number 16.
The Admiral Kuznetsov class Varyag aircraft carrier was 70% complete when China bought it from Ukraine for USD 20 M in 1998.
Before being sold, the ship was disarmed and its engines were removed.
China launched a complete overhaul of the ship in 2002, also developing carrier-based aircraft. Beijing has repeatedly insisted the carrier poses no threat to its neighbors and that it will primarily be used for training and research.
The 1,000-ft vessel is designed to carry 26 aircraft and 24 helicopters.
There has been speculation in the Chinese media that the aircraft carrier could be named Diaoyudao after the Chinese name for the disputed islands controlled by Japan in the East China Sea.
The long-running territorial dispute between Beijing and Tokyo escalated in August, after Japan formally announced its decision to buy three of the five disputed islands, called Senkaku in Japan, from the Kurihara family for JPY 2.05 B (USD 26.1 M).
The islands, which are also claimed by Taiwan, lie on a vital shipping route and are situated above large hydrocarbon deposits.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Covid-19: Serbia Closes Shops, Bars and Restaurants After Sharp Increase of Cases
- » India Tightens Up its Border Patrols to Stop Arrivals from Myanmar
- » Myanmar Sees Deadliest Day of Protests with 38 People Killed
- » Italy Blocks Australian Shipment of 250,000 AstraZeneca Coronavirus Vaccines
- » US Capitol police Warn of Possible Plot to Breach Congress
- » New Zealand Shaken by Powerful Earthquake - Tsunami Alert Stated