Unknown Bulgarian Singer Dena Surfs Sudden Popularity Wave
A young Bulgarian female singer, who lives in Berlin and is a total unknown in her home country, is basking in popularity and many business proposals after her summer hit "Cash, Diamond Rings, Swimming pools".
"I am glad the video and the song stirred so much interest. This opens many doors for me and makes even more interesting my plans for an album," Dena said in an interview for Dnevnik daily.
Earlier this month the Guardian described Dena as a singer with an air of ambiguity hanging over her, provoking people to wonder whether she is celebrating or satirizing the hipster lifestyle.
Dena herself is also wondering but provoked by a different question - why this is an issue at all.
"Tons of volumes of books have been written on the hipster lifestyle topic. But at the end of the day who cares what and who exactly is a hipster?"
Dena has studied visual and media studies in Berlin, where she also, she says, "experimented with working with audiovisual techniques".
Next, she formed a synth duo with a female drummer inspired by 90s R&B and hip-hop, after which she decided to go solo.
Dena says she never worked for what she studied but her visual and media skills are definitely helping her now a lot.
The plan is to issue an extended play by the end of the year and her first album in 2013.
Dena is already working on the album with Jonas Verwijnen / Kaiku Studios in Berlin and claims she has a bunch of really banging tracks already.
She doesn't have a label yet, but is looking forward to work and release new songs in the next months.
- » Bulgarian Artist Christo's 'London Mastaba' Made from over 7,000 Stacked Barrels Floats on Serpentine Lake
- » The Bulgarian "Cultural Reforms" Movement Begins a Series of Cultural Policy Forums
- » SKILLET in Sofia with First Solo Concert in Bulgaria!
- » The 11th Bulgarian Cinema Festival in Rome is Coming soon
- » The ANASTACIA Concert in Sofia is Canceled
- » IMANY with Two Big Concerts in Sofia and Plovdiv in June