Russia Signals Comprehensive Approach to Middle East
Russia will work for the convention of an international conference on peace in the Middle East before the end of the year, announced Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov.
At the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum in Vladivostok Saturday, Lavrov criticized western countries for their approach to the civil war in Syria and Iran's nuclear program.
"We must put an end to bloodshed in Syria and not encourage the rebels to shun dialogue. Regrettably that is what our EU partners are doing at the moment," said Lavrov after meeting US counterpart Hillary Clinton at the forum.
The Russian Foreign Affairs Minister went on to say that sanctions against Syria and Iran have proven ineffective and moreover harm the interests of third parties, such as his country.
"At upcoming UN meetings, Russia will insist on the implementation on the Geneva peace plan for Syria," explained Lavrov.
Regarding the proposed Middle East international conference, he said that one of its goals will be the creation of a zone free from weapons of mass destruction in the region.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 2024: The EU will Run out of Money for Ukraine
- » The Turkish Lira hit a New Record Low
- » The OECD Forecasts Global Economic growth of 2.7% this year and 2.9% in 2024
- » Day 469 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kherson is under water, Ukraine wants Help from the EU
- » Earthquake with Magnitude above 5 in Romania, also felt in Hungary
- » The European Commission approved 77 Million Euros in State Aid for Areas with High Unemployment in Bulgaria