Turkey Closes All Border Crossings with Syria
Turkey has closed all its 13 border crossings on its 900 km border with Syria, Hayati Yazici, the country's Minister of Customs and Trade, announced Wednesday.
"All checkpoints along the Syrian border are closed starting today," the Yazici has told the local NTV, as cited by RIA Novosti.
The TV channel has explained that Turkey acted in line with a new package of sanctions against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad imposed by Ankara.
Syrian insurgents have launched frequent attacks in the last few days at its border points, including near the Iraqi border.
The sanctions will cover truck traffic, but not the inflow of refugees from Syria, some 45,000 of whom already fled to Turkey from the ongoing civil war.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 173 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Over 40 Countries called on Russia to Hand Over the Zaporizhzhia NPP to Kyiv
- » 35 Tons of Humanitarian Aid for Ukrainians to Arrive in Bulgaria
- » 75 Years of Progressive India
- » Day 172 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Soldiers who Shoot at and from Zaporizhzhia NPP are Targeted by Ukrainians
- » Day 171 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia warns the US of Severing Relations if Declared Sponsor of Terrorism
- » A Man Killed 11 People after a Family Dispute in Montenegro