Bulgarian Socialists Need EUR 8 M to Restore 'Forget Your Past' Monument
The Bulgarian Socialist Party would need about BGN 15 M to repair the badly aged and abandoned Buzludzha Monument, announced leading socialist politician Yanaki Stoilov.
The ownership of the Buzludzha Monument, located at the site of the founding of the Bulgarian Social Democratic Party in 1891, was transfered from the Bulgarian state to the Bulgarian socialist party in 2011.
Ever since then, the socialists, who still hold a yearly convention in August near the site in the Stara Planina mountain, have not decided what to do with the spectacular but dilapidated building.
"We will need some BGN 15 M for a thorough repair of the building, and that is an amount that we will have a hard time obtaining," said Stoilov at a party sitting Saturday.
He also revealed that the party would need a further BGN 150,000 each year for the building's maintenance.
The socialists however vowed to find a way to gather funds and turn the monument into a national site for celebrating social democratic ideas.
Nevertheless, the Bulgarian Socialist Party still has the option to return the Buzludzha Monument to the state.
The modernist monument was built in 1981 on the 90th anniversary of the original Buzludzha congress and has since been viewed as glorifying Bulgaria's former communist regime.
Since the start of the transition in 1989, the Bulgarian state has not found the funds and will to maintain it, and it quickly fell into major disrepair.
It has become famous worldwide due to uncanny pictures taken by foreign photographers, as well as the "Forget Your Past" graffito written above the main entrance.
- » PM Borissov: This Year's GDP Will Exceed BGN 120 billion
- » PM Borissov - The State Is Making Sure that the Next Generations Won't Be Burdened with Debt
- » Parliament Officially Goes into Election Vacations Until October 25 Inclusive
- » We are Celebrating the Feast of Aviation and the Bulgarian Air Force
- » After the Security Council: Bulgaria Urges Turkey to Suspend Military Operation in Syria
- » The Security Council will Meet Today Due to the Situation in Syria