Prosecutors Seek Breivik Insanity Verdict
Norwegian prosecutors want notorious mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik to be committed to compulsory psychiatric care instead of prison.
According to the prosecutors, it could not be ruled out that the 33-year-old Norwegian was psychotic when he killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage on July 22 2011.
"We request that he is transferred to compulsory psychiatric care," prosecutor Svein Holden has declared, as cited by BBC.
He has pointed out that although prosecutors could not be sure Breivik was insane, there remained doubt about his sanity.
The prosecutors believe that the mass murderer started planning his terror attacks in 2009, dagbladet.no says. They do not believe his description of the so-called "Knights Templar" network was reliable.
The defence concludes on Friday.
Breivik's lawyers have made it clear that their client does not want to be declared insane. He has described the alternative as "ending up in a madhouse."
In July 2011 Breivik murdered a total of 77 people by planting a bomb in Oslo's government center and then going on a shooting rampage in a children's camp on nearby island of Utoya in July 2011.
The children's camp was hosted by the ruling Labor Party.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Montenegro has the Cheapest Fuel in the Balkans
- » The EU grants 1.61 Billion Euros to Bulgaria
- » Liz Truss's Conservative Government takes U-turns on plan to scrap 45p Tax Rate
- » Inflation in Turkey exceeded 83%
- » Day 222 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Breakthrough in Kherson, Both Sides accuse each other of Shelling
- » Day 221 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russians withdraw from Lyman, Zelensky vows for more Recaptured Territories