Death Toll in Renewed Italy Quake Climbs to 10
At least ten persons are reported killed and dozens injured after a new strong earthquake shook northern Italy Tuesday, report agencies.
Many people are feared to have been trapped beneath the rubble of newly collapsed buildings.
The new tremor, reported to be of 5.8 maginitude on the Richter scale, was felt throughout nothern and central Italy.
According to inital reports, the epicenter was in the commune of Mirandola in the region of Modena, 40 km north of Bologna and 60 km east of Parma.
Buildings that suffered damage during the initial 6.1-degree earthquake May 20 have collapsed.
People are reported fleeing stores and offices in Milano, Bologna and the Aosta Valley near the border with France.
The initial earthquake hit the Italian province of Emilia Romana around 4 am Sunday, May 20.
It destroyed many buildings of historical significance, but also new ones, causing the deaths of seven persons.
Some 7,000 persons are still living in temporary housing, after their homes were destroyed or damaged.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Up to 110 Shooting Stars per Hour in Bulgaria Between August 11th and 13th
- » Two Beluga Whales Have Been Moved to an Open Water Sanctuary After Almost 10 Years Away From the Sea
- » 3.4-Magnitute Earthquake in Vrancea, Romania
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Warm
- » For the First Time in Four Years Endangered Tigers Have Been Spotted in Thailand
- » Germany Drawns Up Interesting Measures to Protect Insects