Bulgarian President Pays Traditional Visit to Pope
An official Bulgarian delegation headed by President Rosen Plevneliev visited Thursday, May 24, Pope Benedict XVI on occasion of the day of the Cyrillic alphabet.
May 24 Bulgaria celebrates the deeds and legacy of Sts Cyril and Methodious - two Byzantine scholar brothers who developed the first script for the Slavic languages.
On this day a Bulgarian official delegation is officially sent to the Vatican, after Pope John Paul II proclaimed Sts Cyril and Methodius co-patrons of Europe together with St Benedict of Norcia in 1980.
Thursday Bulgaria's President Plevneliev renewed invitations to Pope Benedict XVI to visit Bulgaria.
"Our invitation is open, as is our country. Bulgarians have their hearts open for the Pope," said the President.
He added that Bulgaria is not only a haven of stability, but also could send a powerful message to the rest of the world.
Pope Benedict XVI thanked for the invitation and promised to consider it seriously.
"We received deep recognition here in the Vatican," commented President Plevneliev.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Russia has Summoned Bulgaria’s Ambassador due to the Expelled Priests
- » Vice-President Yotova: Bulgaria is Fully Behind Albania's European Future
- » Russia’s Ambassador: Bulgaria is Rewriting its History
- » Turkey’s Ambassador: The Investments of Turkish companies in Bulgaria reach 2.5 billion euros
- » Ambassador Raykov: British authorities have officially confirmed that the 3 Bulgarians are in Prison
- » Bulgaria’s Ambassador to the UK: The Embassy was Not Informed about the Detention of our Citizens