'Selena' Fears Invade Net after Earthquake Hits Bulgaria
The news about the strong earthquake that hit Bulgaria overnight spread immediately on social networks and made the country one of the hottest topics on the net.
The earthquake had a magnitude of about 5.9-6.0 on the Richter scale, up from the initial reports of 5.8 and struck at 2:58 am Tuesday morning. Its epicenter is located about 6 km from Pernik and is at a shallow depth, making the shocks felt even stronger.
The top reason for the activity, however, was not global empathy, but fans who became alarmed about the fate of their idol, Selena Gomez, who is in Bulgaria to shoot a new movie, the Bulgarian "Dnevnik" daily writes Tuesday.
Initially, one of the most popular topics on Twitter was #PrayForSelena, after the fans quickly connected Bulgaria with her name. They later added the hash-tag #PrayForBulgaria which also gained huge popularity.
Messages of encouragement for Gomez and Bulgarians keep pouring on the net.
The star had not yet written anything about the quake in her Twitter profile. There is no comment either from her boyfriend Justin Bieber, also an idol of teenage girls around the globe.
Despite the strong shock, there are no reported casualties, no serious injuries and no significant national infrastructure damage.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Key to Happiness - Friends Not Family?
- » Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt Spotted Reuniting for 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High' Table Read
- » Study: Long-Term Romantic Partners Influence Each Other's Goals
- » Betting From Your Smartphones - Four Reasons You Should Upgrade Your Device
- » Tips for Looking After Your Eyes in the Summer
- » Prince Harry and Meghan Will Receive Invitations for Brooklyn Beckham's Wedding