US Drug Enforcement Agency to Open Sofia Office Tuesday
The US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) will open its office in Bulgaria's capital Sofia on Tuesday.
Bulgarian Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov and DEA Acting Administrator Michelle Lionheart will be present at the official opening.
The planned DEA office in the Bulgarian capital was announced by Tsvetanov and US Ambassador in Sofia James Warlick in December 2011.
The basis for cooperation between DEA and Bulgarian authorities was formed in the 1990s, when DEA began collaborating with the General Directorate for Combating Organized Crime (GDBOP) on several investigations involving significant drug trafficking organizations operating in the region, which resulted in notable seizures.
The USA has been mulling the opening of a DEA office in Sofia for some time as part of the efforts to boost law enforcement cooperation.
DEA offices already exist in Albania, Croatia, the Czech Republic and other European countries, dnevnik.bg reminds.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Greece and Turkey to Resolve Their Disputes in Istanbul
- » Bulgaria’s Ambassador to UK Marin Raykov: The Absence of Bulgaria From The UK's Non-Quarantine List is Abnormal
- » Bulgaria's PM Boyko Borissov Sends Congratulatory Address to US President Donald Trump on US Independence Day
- » Bulgaria's PM Borissov and Serbian President Vucic Inspected Balkan Stream Construction
- » Bulgaria Asks Committee on Resolving Historical Issues with North Macedonia
- » Presidents Rumen Radev and Salome Zourabichvili Discussed Bulgaria’s and Georgia’s Readiness to Boost Bilateral Trade after the Coronavirus