Britannica Ends Its Famous Print Run
Reference book firm Encyclopaedia Britannica has decided to no longer publish its famous 32-volume print edition amid fierce competition from websites.
“A momentous event? In some ways, yes; the set is, after all, nearly a quarter of a millennium old. But in a larger sense this is just another historical data point in the evolution of human knowledge,” reads an official announcement of the company, published on its website.
”For one thing, the encyclopedia will live on—in bigger, more numerous, and more vibrant digital forms. And just as important, we the publishers are poised, in the digital era, to serve knowledge and learning in new ways that go way beyond reference works. In fact, we already do.”
"The sales of printed encyclopaedias have been negligible for several years," Jorge Cauz president of Encyclopaedia Britannica told BBC.
"We knew this was going to come."
Britannica said while its decision to focus on online editions was influenced by the shift in consumer pattern, the ability to update content at a short notice also played a big role.
"A printed encyclopaedia is obsolete the minute that you print it," Cauz said.
"Whereas our online edition is updated continuously."
At the same time, frequent users of the encyclopaedia said they preferred using the online version more than the print one.
"We have to answer thousands of questions each month through chat, through telephone, through email and we have to do that as quickly as humanly possible," Richard Reyes-Gavilan of Brooklyn Public Library told the BBC.
"In many instances doing a keyword search in an online resource is simply a lot faster then standing up looking at the index of the Britannica and then finding the appropriate volume."
The decision by Encyclopaedia Britannica to stop its print edition puts an end to a 244-year tradition.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Elon Musk with a Letter to Humanity: Artificial intelligence can Defeat and Destroy us
- » Taiwan's President is visiting the US
- » Austria urged North Macedonia to include Bulgarians in its Constitution
- » The EU has decided that from 2035 only New Cars with Zero Carbon Dioxide Emissions will be Sold
- » Day 399 of the Invasion of Ukraine: VSU hit Russian Occupied Melitopol multiple times
- » The Pentagon is preparing the US Space Force for a possible Conflict with Russia and China in Space