Bulgarian Activists Table 52 000 Signatures against Shale Gas Hydrofracking
The Civic Initiative for banning exploration and extraction of shale gas using the so called hydrofracking method has tabled to the Bulgarian Parliament 52 000 signatures in support of its demands.
Bulgarian citizens from over 350 cities, towns, and villages joined the hydrofracking banning initiative with their signatures that were handed to Parliament Chair Tsetska Tsacheva on Friday, says a statement of the civic group.
The 52 000 signatures have been collected since November 26, 2011, with demands to update the Bulgarian Mining Resources Act in order to protect nature and people's health.
The initiative insists on a total and permanent ban of hydrofracking for any extraction operations.
A month ago the Bulgarian Parliament imposed a moratorium on the highly controversial exploration and extraction of shale gas until there are guarantees that this activity would not affect the environment.
Civic activists, however, see the moratorium as insufficient and prone to changes under the influence of lobby groups.
- » Тhis Summer Was the Hottest on Record in the Northern Hemisphere
- » Neno Dimov: Less than 3% of the Imported Waste in 2018 Is Burned in TPPs
- » The Ozone Hole over Antarctica - the Smallest in almost 30 Years!
- » It Will be Sunny Again Today, with Highs Between 29C and 34C
- » It will be Sunny Today, with Scattered High Clouds Around Midday
- » Warm Weather on Sunday as well as in the New Week in Bulgaria