Bulgaria Promised Respite from Winter Nightmare on Febr 20
The severe cold snap and floods that hit hard Bulgaria will come to an end after two weeks, when the mercury will permanently rise above the freezing point, forecasts say.
Until February 20 however Bulgaria is to see another wave of heavy snowfalls in most parts of the country, as well as strong winds in the east during the next few days, weather forecasts have warned.
On Tuesday temperatures in most parts of the country will remain without significant change during the day, ranging between -8 ° and -3 °, in southeastern Bulgaria – between 0 °and -1 °.
The "fells like" temperatures however will be much lower because of the strong wind.
On Friday and Saturday the mercury will drop to about twenty degrees below the freezing point.
Bulgaria was thrown into chaos during the first days of the new year as heavy snow and torrential rains cut off electricity, stranded people, cars, buses and trucks.
Nine people lost their lives in Southeastern Bulgaria in Monday's flooding caused by the breaking of local dams. There are demolished houses and people in distress.
The death toll continued to rise throughout Monday, with three casualties reported initially. The highest number of casualties was registered in the village of Biser, Haskovo District, where at least 200 houses have been flooded.
A total of five persons, of whom three are confirmed to be adult males, have perished in the village of Biser.
Four more died in the floods when their cars were swept away by high waters.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Ticks Boom Across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Thunderstorms in Many Places in the Country on July 5
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Storms with Thunder and Hail, Sunny on the Black Sea
- » Weather Today: Rainy Over Western Bulgaria, on the SeaCoast - Perfect for the Beach
- » Weather in Bulgaria, July 2: Sunny and Warm, Temperatures Up to 35 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Temperatures Up to 36 Degrees on July 1