Broken Dam Flooding Kills 9 in Southeast Bulgaria
Nine people have lost their lives in Southeastern Bulgaria in Monday's flooding caused by the breaking of local dams.
A total of nine persons have drowned in Southeastern Bulgaria as a result of the collapse of local water reservoir dams, the Interior Ministry has confirmed.
The death toll continued to rise throughout Monday, with three casualties reported initially. The highest number of casualties was registered in the village of Biser, Haskovo District, where at least 200 houses have been flooded.
A total of five persons, of whom three are confirmed to be adult males, have perished in the village of Biser.
Local media in the city of Haskovo have reported two more casualties in the nearby village of Madzharovo, plus two casualties – a husband and a wife – who perished after their car got stuck on a nearby road, and was then hit by the wave caused by the breaking of a dike at the Ivanovo water reservoir.
Bulgaria's Prime Minister Boyko Borisov and Deputy PM and Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov visited the area of the floods, promising emergency aid and supplies to the locals, including warm food and clothing as well as vans for temporary housing.
"We are restoring the bridges that have been wiped out by the water. We are identifying the casualties. We are working with the electricity supplier to fix the damages as soon as the water recedes," Bulgaria Prime Minister said early Monday evening.
In his words, the military helicopter evacuation has saved 60 people from the flooded area. Borisov added that unfortunately many locals failed to believe the flood warnings issued by the village mayor.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Ticks Boom Across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Thunderstorms in Many Places in the Country on July 5
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Storms with Thunder and Hail, Sunny on the Black Sea
- » Weather Today: Rainy Over Western Bulgaria, on the SeaCoast - Perfect for the Beach
- » Weather in Bulgaria, July 2: Sunny and Warm, Temperatures Up to 35 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Temperatures Up to 36 Degrees on July 1