Dam Bursts, Floods Bulgarian Village
The Bulgarian village of Biser, located near the southern town of Harmanly, has been flooded, as the local "Ivanovo" dam has burst.
A 3-meter high flood wave has flooded the village, worried villagers told the bTV private channel early on Monday.
Military forces are ready to step in and participate in countering the emergency situation, Haskovo Regional Governor Irena Uzunova has informed.
Bulgaria's Civil Protection services have called on the local population to remain calm.
Meanwhile, the citizens of the southern Bulgarian town of Zlatograd are ready to be evacuated, as the municipalities of Zlatograd and Nedelino are in a state of emergency due to heavy rainfalls and melting snow. Over 100 liters of rain per square meter have been registered in the region.
The southern Bulgarian municipalities of Kardzhali and Smolyan are under code red, as meteorologists have warned that floods are very likely to occur in the Rhodope region during the day.
The whole of western Bulgaria is under Code Orange, while most of the eastern part of the country is under Code yellow, as heavy snowfalls continue. Extremely low temperatures are to persist until Wednesday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian State Railways Signed a Contract with Siemens
- » Lake Varna: Tons of Dead Fish at the Shore, What is the Reason?
- » The Sun Has Not Been This Quiet Since the Ice Age
- » Emergency Declared in Michigan - Two Dams Have Breached
- » A Huge Population is Likely to be Affected by a Strong Tropical Cyclon
- » Hurracanes are Becoming Stronger due to Climate Change