Last US Troops Leave Iraq
The last American soldiers have left Iraq early Sunday morning, after the 9-year US intervention in the country was officially ended with a ceremony Thursday.
The last unit of 110 vehicles transporting around 500 US troops has crossed into Kuwait from Iraq Sunday.
The US army in Iraq, once numbering as many as 170,000, has been reduced to a strategic contingent of just 157 service men
During its stay in Iraq, which started in 2003, the American army has built or adapted 505 military bases in the country.
Thursday American President Barack Obama described the operation that deposed long-time Iraq ruler Saddam Hussein as a "success", and said that all sacrifices made were justified by the fact that now Iraq is "sovereign, stable and self-reliant."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 647 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Israel-Hamas Conflict Threatens to Overshadow the War
- » Schengen Decision for Bulgaria: Awaited Call Delayed Again
- » After the 7-Day Ceasefire: Second Day of Fighting in Gaza
- » Bulgarian and Romanian MEPs Protest Against Schengen Veto in Vienna
- » Day 646 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky Calls For Rapid Construction of Fortifications in Key Areas
- » Serbia Bolsters Border Security, Plans Increased Police Presence along Bulgaria Border