Bulgarian PM Backs Mass Railroad Layoffs
Bulgaria's Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, voiced firm support for the looming mass layoffs at the State-owned railroad company BDZ.
Borisov spoke late Friday in the weekly political talk show of the Bulgarian National Television, BNT, Panorama, where he said he regretted the extreme measure, but simply there was no other way to deal with the huge debt of the railroads.
"I am like a surgeon – a patient comes and dies. BDZ's debt is close to BGN 1 B, and it grows every year. We have to take from retirement pensions, healthcare, security, childcare to cover these obligations. For many years instead of doing the surgery we let the infection invade the entire organism. I am suffering too, but this is the only option – if we do not go ahead with the 2 000-layoff, the entire system will die. This is the last chance for surgeon Borisov to cure BDZ," Borisov declared during the show.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Due to Imports from Ukraine: 50% of Bulgarian Honey remains Unrealized
- » Bulgarian Grain Producers continue their Protest against the Import of Grain from Ukraine
- » "Bulgargaz" offers Gas with another 3% down
- » Bulgarian Grain Producers begin three days of Protest Action
- » Bulgaria, Greece and Italy bought Gas from Azerbaijan for 1.6 Billion Euros in January
- » Bulgaria will sign Agreements with the US and France for the Construction of 4 Nuclear Units at the sites in Kozloduy and Belene