Wild Fire Impedes Traffic on Bulgaria's Trakiya Hwy
A wild fire is reported Tuesday afternoon on both sides of the Trakiya highway, near the Bulgarian capital Sofia.
Viability on the highway is low as result and additional traffic police patrols have been dispatched.
The fire engulfed over 1 000 dekares of dry grass and forest and is located between the towns of Vakarel and Ihtiman.
Nine firetrucks, 45 firefighters and 50 forest rangers are battling the blaze. A military helicopter from the Krumovo airfield is also joining the effort under a joint order of Defense Minister, Anyu Angelov, and Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov.
The Head of the National Fire Rescue Services, Nikolay Nikolov, is cited by the Bulgarian National Radio, saying nearby towns, villages and their residents are not in any immediate danger and the blaze would be tamed in a timely manner.
- » Temperatures Will Drop, the Real Summer Is Expected in the Beginning of August
- » Rain Showers Accompanied by Thunder Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures from 25C in Northeast to 35C in Southwest
- » Economic Losses From Bad Weather in Europe in June Will Cost $ 2 billion
- » Sunny with Highs Between 32C and 37C
- » Will the Weather in Bulgaria Surprise us Next Week?
- » Mount Etna WAKES UP