Stunning Djokovic Beats Nadal, Wins US Open
Novak Djokovic confirmed his status as the world's best player with a stunning victory over defending champion Rafael Nadal after an epic battle for his first US Open title.
The top seed from Serbia gave a display of breathtaking quality to triumph 6-2 6-4 6-7 (3-7) 6-1 in four hours and 10 minutes on Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Nadal, who was bidding to win his 11th Grand Slam title, has now lost all six of his meetings with Djokovic in 2011.
At the beginning of July Djokovic came through 6-4 6-1 1-6 6-3 to to dethrone Nadal as Wimbledon champion.
Djokovic now holds the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open titles. And he becomes only the sixth man in the Open Era to win three of the four majors in the same year.
"It's an incredible feeling," said the 24-year-old, who has lost only two of his 66 matches in 2011. "I've had an amazing year and it keeps going. Every time I play Rafa it's a big challenge.
"He's had a great tournament and I wish we have many more tough matches in the coming years."
"I'm disappointed but Novak is doing unbelievable things," said second seed Nadal. "What he did this year is probably impossible to repeat.
"I tried my best in every point. I tried to play aggressive but he made fantastic comebacks. I fought until last ball. I won a lot in the past but I have to work hard and come back stronger next year."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Greatest Bulgarian Premier League Players Ever
- » Bulgaria with a Record 13 Medals from the European Rhythmic Gymnastics Championship
- » Bulgaria is the European Champion in Rhythmic Gymnastics - Gold for the Ensemble
- » Bulgaria to replace Russia on the Qualification for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris
- » Bulgarian Boxer Tervel Pulev defeated the American Joel Shojgreen in the Third Round
- » Why Bulgaria are Placing their Faith in Youth to get back into Footballing Relevance